Will 1.9 come out at Minecon next week? It just might! Today, we take a look at known features, a few hinted features, and just a handful of speculation about the upcoming Combat Update! A quick look at what is coming:
ANIMATIONS / ENTITY MODELS
- Might include model changes within the NBT data.
- Would be implemented via resource packs.
- Will make better use of code so that map/mod makers can create better/new mobs.
- Same as the block data changes in 1.8.
- New block type.
- New unknown dark colored block.
- Cannot be obtained and does not naturally generate.
- Has a visual effect on the world.
- Cannot be used in-game, and is a technical block used by Mojang internally to build generated structures
- Grass Path
- A 15/16 block tall grass-like “path”. It features a somewhat similar texture to the grass block.
- New blocks in the End
CAPTIONS / SUBTITLES
- Subtitles which display for each sound for the hard of hearing/deaf.
- An example would be “Creeper hissing”.
- Would have < or > to point in the direction this sound is coming from.
- Added a left hand.
- Option to play with the left hand as the main hand.
- The main hand acts as the right hand did previously, while the other hand may equip an item through a new off-hand slot.
- The off-hand slot is shown by a shield outline in the inventory.
- While weapons can be equipped in both hands, a weapon may only be used while equipped to the main hand.
- The other hand is only visible to the player when something is equipped there.
- The right click action of your off-hand item is used if your main-hand doesn't have its own.
- For example, if you have a pickaxe in your main hand and a torch in your other hand, right click places the torch.
- Items in the off hand and the main hand can be swapped by pressing a key, which defaults to F.
- Some attributes and enchantments will apply to the off-hand item, while others will not.
- A new type of dungeon with new blocks and mobs.
- Added support to rotate and mirror structures.
- New generated structures in the End, including a tower-like structure, smaller ground-based structures and other islands
- Can hold arrows
- At least 4 new arrow types.
- The gold colored arrow is the spectral arrow, which is a “utility” rather than being good at hurting.
- Shown by a black shield outline in the picture.
- Will be used for blocking instead of a sword.
- Can be used to attack and defend at the same time.